Wednesday 27 May 2015

A fruity marriage



A Fruity Marriage

I love bubble baths! They are one of those things that make me say "God, whoever you gave the idea of the bath tub to THANKYOU" and a jacuzzi "Well played, well played!"
It is that special time of night where I get to de-stress and lay in a scalding hot pool of bliss, slip away into another world as I read a good book. 

 I'm in the midst of re-reading redeeming love. (If you havent read it, seriously you're missing out) It is the story of Michael and Angle, a modern day Hosea and Gomer very beautifully written.

Every time I read this book I just fall in love with the love story, especially Micheal. I fall in love with his character....I him riding in on a white horse...shirtless...bahahaha ok, im kidding. Seriously every time it gets me thinking about marriage. 
Ahhh marriage it can be as close to heaven or hell that we will experience on this earth. The idea of joining yourself to another person for the rest of your life is such a romantic thought...real life can be a bit different.
I could probably spend all my time writing about how fantastic marriage is and even longer complaining about it. There are so many difficulties,victories, laughs and tears when it comes to marriage, it's hard to know where to start.
 Today though I want to talk about women who become disappointed that their marriage doesn't reflect God and isn't this grand love story. Women who start thinking maybe this isn't the man God wanted me to marry. He's not a leader or gentle or insert whatever else you can here. Ladies I've been there. In a nut shell those were probably my first two years of marriage.....and one question changed everything.

How can your marriage reflect God if your life doesn't?

Sounds simple right. Wrong!
I started noticing the hopes and dreams I had for my marriage, the practises and the morals I wanted in my marriage weren't in my personal life. Marriage is just an extension of who you already are after all right...so I realized things had to change.
 I had to learn to love like Jesus loved. So I started in the most obvious place 1 Corinthians 13. You know what I'm talking about? I promise you if you haven't personally read it, you have heard it, its pretty much the go to wedding verse. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy or boast...blah blah blah. So I just started going down the list and praying...


Love is patient: Lord give me patience in my daily life, with my husband and with my children, give me opportunities to practise patience....and so on and so forth.
Knowing that the these were the fruits of the spirit and that the spirit is in me, I knew that the more I practised, prayed and watched for opportunities the more I'd learn to love like Jesus...guess what...it worked!!
Well I should say working. Its a continuous day in and day out thing that has turned my marriage into this hot mess off awesomeness, every day it looks more and more like the plan God has for our marriage. The more I practise the fruits of the spirit in my own life the more my heart changes and becomes more like Christ, the more my heart becomes like Christ the more my marriage reflect one that has God as its anchor. More and more I see my husband like Christ see him and the more in love I fall with that fantastic man he is. Do we still have a long way to go? Oh heck yes, but I wouldn't trade our love story in for any story in a book.

Until Jesus Christ is the obsession of your heart you will always be looking to mere men to meet the need that only he can fill. Only when you make Jesus Christ your first love, will you be ready for a love story that reflects his glory. ~ annoyomous


Shesoneinabrazilian


     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment